Difference and Similarities between Calgary and Edmonton.
As someone who lived in both cities for more than 3 years and still live in Calgary, here are the top 10 similarities and differences between both cities.
- Weather: You have more sunshine and less harsh winter in Calgary with occasional positive temperature in the middle of the winter because of Chinook winds. Edmonton is grayer than Calgary with harsher winter and not enough sunshine, the more you go up north. Calgary wins.
- Cost of life: Rent in Edmonton, home ownership, food, clothing is slightly cheaper than same item in Calgary: Edmonton wins.
- Opportunities: more blue collar jobs in Edmonton, more white collar jobs in Calgary: Tie.
- City's architecture: Calgary seems newer and just more beautiful to me by far: Calgary wins.
- People: just the same to me, no difference: Tie
- Size and population: Calgary seems larger and have more people: I won't call this a win.
- Mountains and lakes: Beautiful Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper National Park are much closer to Calgary than Edmonton at less than 2 hours drive. Calgary wins handily.
- Sports: Flames(NHL) and Stampeders(CFL)in Calgary, Oiler(NHL) and Eskimos(CFL) in Edmonton. Several amateur leagues, indoor and outdoor facilities for soccer, hockey, basketball, football and baseball in both cities; ShowUpAndPlay Calgary (Calgary, AB), ShowUpAndPlay Edmonton (Edmonton, AB) : Tie
- Bars and Pubs: Cowboys in Calgary, Black dog free house in Edmonton are the most popular. Cowboy culture in both cities but not violent, no guns. ( The 10 Best Nightclubs in Calgary , The Best Nightlife in Edmonton - TripAdvisor ): Tie
- Festivals: Calgary Stampede is unique and a must see in North America: Calgary wins.
- Downtown:Calgary in Real Time Now. Edmonton in Real Time Now. They are both vibrant and Nice: Tie
Based upon all that comparison above, I'd choose Calgary any day, but will rather go shopping in Edmonton.
Are you planning to visit or move to Calgary or Edmonton?
Where to play hockey, soccer, basketball, badminton, baseball, softball, slop-itch, pickle-ball, volleyball, touch football, cricket, rugby, swimming in Calgary | Show Up And Play
Where to play hockey, soccer, basketball, badminton, baseball, softball, slop-itch, pickle-ball, volleyball, touch football, cricket, rugby, swimming in Edmonton | Show Up And Play